Newspaper Archive of
The Ortonville Independent
Ortonville, Minnesota
Lyft
May 11, 1999     The Ortonville Independent
PAGE 48     (48 of 62 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 48     (48 of 62 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
May 11, 1999
 

Newspaper Archive of The Ortonville Independent produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




I Page 6b Spring & Summer 1999 Big Stone Lake Region Vacation G Enjoy a relaxing dinner with a beautiful lake view at SHADY BEACH SUPPER CLUB ......  Steve and Barb Anderson, owners .... On Big Stone Lake, Corona, SD Charbroiled Steaks Seafood Chicken Ribs * Salad Bar Bar Baskets * Beer * Wine * Cocktails LARGE BOAT DOCK * GAS & OIL * ON & OFF SALE BEER SUMMER HOURS: Open Mon. thru Fri. at 4 p.m., Sat. and Sun. at 11:30 a.m. Step Back in Time at County Museums In Milbank, an original country one-room school house, a historic home fur- nished in the decor of the early 1900s and the Grant County Museum are located within a block of each other, only one block east of Main Street .an Third Avenue. They are open Sundays dur- ing the summer months, on some holidays, and by appointment. Grant County Museum The Grant County Museum is located in the structure erected by Andrew Carnegie in 1906 as a library for the pioneer Mil- bank community. It served as a dty library until 1979 when a new library building was constructed to serve the entire county. Deeded by the city to the county in 1983, the Grant County Historical Society leases the building from the county. Now the museum houses artifacts from cities, towns, schools, churches, the mili- tary and businesses in Grant County. The museum is on the National Register of His- toric Buildings. The lower level was renovated in the summer of 1997. Historical House The white frame house THE GRANT COUNTY MUSEUM is located in Milbank's former Carnegie Library at the corner of 3rd Avenue and 3rd Street South.-Review Photo. was built along what is now Highway 12 before the turn of the century as a Seventh Day Adventist Church. When the congregation dis- banded, the building became the home of one the members who added a esc- ond floor. The house was moved in 1993 to the corner of Third Avenue and Fourth Street, only a block east of the County Museun Historical Society mem- bers have decorated the house with furnishings from the period of 1900 to 1920. Amsden School House The Amsden School, also known as Madison No. 2, was built in 1882 on land donated by C.S. Amsden southwest of Mflbank. Peak enrollment was 28 students in the 1928-29 school year. There were just five students when the school closed in 1966. The building, some of the original furnishings and the bell were purchased at auc- tion in 1967. Money and labor were donated to turn it into a historical school THE HISTORICAL HOUSE is at the corner of South 4th St. and 3rd Ave.-Review Photo. museun The structure has been moved several times. In 1993, it was set down at its present location on Third Avenue, directly west of the Historical House. Cong,ational Chur The First Congregational United Church of Christ, built in 1883, also is located in Milbank's historic dis- trict, diagonal from the Historical House at the cor- ner of Third Avenue and Fourth Street The church the National Register Historic Places. According to some histO" rians, the first religious vices held in Milbank Congregational. The services at the gational were Feb. 3, 1884. Co=tory Courtho One of the more structures in Milbank, Grant County was dedicated in 1917 lowing two years of struction. P0000'on6srde00g System .ip !ling.or .shal!.ow weeding, smaU.spaces or big garoens-tne Mamls Huer is paCKe(] with features to make it a real garden heavyweight Tills, weeds, and cultivates Maneuvers easily in tight spots Electronic ignition enables easy starting Lifetime warran on tines 7 attachments available Groundbreaker TM 5 HP Briggs & Stratton engine for lasting durability and performance Counter-rotating tines provide deep, optimal tilling. Includes side shields. Handles adjust up and down for maximum comfort. Features front bumper to protect engine under rugged conditions. Efficiently designed for improved traction and aggressive action with 13x5-6 tires. I Page 6b Spring & Summer 1999 Big Stone Lake Region Vacation G Enjoy a relaxing dinner with a beautiful lake view at SHADY BEACH SUPPER CLUB ......  Steve and Barb Anderson, owners .... On Big Stone Lake, Corona, SD Charbroiled Steaks Seafood Chicken Ribs * Salad Bar Bar Baskets * Beer * Wine * Cocktails LARGE BOAT DOCK * GAS & OIL * ON & OFF SALE BEER SUMMER HOURS: Open Mon. thru Fri. at 4 p.m., Sat. and Sun. at 11:30 a.m. Step Back in Time at County Museums In Milbank, an original country one-room school house, a historic home fur- nished in the decor of the early 1900s and the Grant County Museum are located within a block of each other, only one block east of Main Street .an Third Avenue. They are open Sundays dur- ing the summer months, on some holidays, and by appointment. Grant County Museum The Grant County Museum is located in the structure erected by Andrew Carnegie in 1906 as a library for the pioneer Mil- bank community. It served as a dty library until 1979 when a new library building was constructed to serve the entire county. Deeded by the city to the county in 1983, the Grant County Historical Society leases the building from the county. Now the museum houses artifacts from cities, towns, schools, churches, the mili- tary and businesses in Grant County. The museum is on the National Register of His- toric Buildings. The lower level was renovated in the summer of 1997. Historical House The white frame house THE GRANT COUNTY MUSEUM is located in Milbank's former Carnegie Library at the corner of 3rd Avenue and 3rd Street South.-Review Photo. was built along what is now Highway 12 before the turn of the century as a Seventh Day Adventist Church. When the congregation dis- banded, the building became the home of one the members who added a esc- ond floor. The house was moved in 1993 to the corner of Third Avenue and Fourth Street, only a block east of the County Museun Historical Society mem- bers have decorated the house with furnishings from the period of 1900 to 1920. Amsden School House The Amsden School, also known as Madison No. 2, was built in 1882 on land donated by C.S. Amsden southwest of Mflbank. Peak enrollment was 28 students in the 1928-29 school year. There were just five students when the school closed in 1966. The building, some of the original furnishings and the bell were purchased at auc- tion in 1967. Money and labor were donated to turn it into a historical school THE HISTORICAL HOUSE is at the corner of South 4th St. and 3rd Ave.-Review Photo. museun The structure has been moved several times. In 1993, it was set down at its present location on Third Avenue, directly west of the Historical House. Cong,ational Chur The First Congregational United Church of Christ, built in 1883, also is located in Milbank's historic dis- trict, diagonal from the Historical House at the cor- ner of Third Avenue and Fourth Street The church the National Register Historic Places. According to some histO" rians, the first religious vices held in Milbank Congregational. The services at the gational were Feb. 3, 1884. Co=tory Courtho One of the more structures in Milbank, Grant County was dedicated in 1917 lowing two years of struction. P0000'on6srde00g System .ip !ling.or .shal!.ow weeding, smaU.spaces or big garoens-tne Mamls Huer is paCKe(] with features to make it a real garden heavyweight Tills, weeds, and cultivates Maneuvers easily in tight spots Electronic ignition enables easy starting Lifetime warran on tines 7 attachments available Groundbreaker TM 5 HP Briggs & Stratton engine for lasting durability and performance Counter-rotating tines provide deep, optimal tilling. Includes side shields. Handles adjust up and down for maximum comfort. Features front bumper to protect engine under rugged conditions. Efficiently designed for improved traction and aggressive action with 13x5-6 tires.