Newspaper Archive of
The Ortonville Independent
Ortonville, Minnesota
Lyft
May 11, 1999     The Ortonville Independent
PAGE 59     (59 of 62 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 59     (59 of 62 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
May 11, 1999
 

Newspaper Archive of The Ortonville Independent produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




Lake Region Vacation Guide Spring & Summer 1999 Page 171) [ tamer Services Held at Historic Indian Church Indian lineage. The church was bought in 1901 by Swedish settlers from Strandburg and, until 1905, served the Scandina- vian settlers from the Stock- holm and Strandburg com- munities. The original pulpit is used in the Elim Covenant Church at-SteckholL The location of the church in the Coteau Hills gives an excellent view of the Whet- stone Valley. Little is leR of the cemetery that once was located directly south of the church. The Sunday services Indian Church Old Indian Church, , about 15 miles south- is the site of Depecial Sunday services Maintained by it is on the Register of Historic first known as the | Earth Church, the log was built in 1877. first served by Rev. Renville, a Pres- minister of French- GRANT COUNTY AG MUSEUM, located in boasts an impressive collection of vintage implements, motor vehicles and other machinery. is an 1878 claim shanty. Also pictured a typical windmill used to pump water.-Review in summer are generally con- ducted by the pastor of the Elim Covenant Church of Stockholm. That community is only a few miles from the church. Troy Stage Station In February, 1880, the homestead of John Potter, in what later became Troy Township, was designated as a U.S. Post Office on the stagecoach route between Big Stone City and Water- town. The station, located 5 and 1/2 miles west of Strand- burg, was in operation for nine years. The Potters provided meals and lodging for travel- ere and ran a livery for the horses. One of the notable regulars at the station was Gov. Mellette, last executive of Dakota Territory and the first governor of South Dakota. The house was restored in 1992. The Historical Society holds a celebration in the summer, opening the stage station up to the public and recreating a Pony Express ride. Recreated on the premises are a depot, farm repair shop and a country kitchen. Also on the grounds is an original claim shanty, built in 1879 by the Anderson family Ag Mmeum An outstanding collection of pioneer machinery, tools and vehicles from Grant County is on display the Ag Museum at Stockholm. ORIGINALLY KNOWN as the Brown Earth Church, the log structure now known as the Indian Church was built in 1877. The cemetery was located adjacent to the church, but only one or two markers are still visible there. 4. $D Valley Care Center Those Who Care" Certified long and thort term care ;killed nursing care 'Therapy Care 'Both inpatient and outpatient Physical therapy Therapy Therapy & Adult Park Place Assisted Living "We will help you take care of yourself" Providing the assistance you need to remain safe and independent • Private suites • 3 meals daily plus snacks • Resident selective menus • Laundry • Housekeeping • Activities Program • Medication Management Healthcare: Committed to serving the of the senior members of our community. 605-432-4556 or 605-432-5695 Welcome Fishermen Lowest Rates In Town! Located on South Highway 15 in Milbank • Continental Breakfast • Free HBO Toll Free Reservations 1-800-627-6075 Next door to the Lan. tern Inn Supper Club Finest Steak and Seafood Lake Region Vacation Guide Spring & Summer 1999 Page 171) [ tamer Services Held at Historic Indian Church Indian lineage. The church was bought in 1901 by Swedish settlers from Strandburg and, until 1905, served the Scandina- vian settlers from the Stock- holm and Strandburg com- munities. The original pulpit is used in the Elim Covenant Church at-SteckholL The location of the church in the Coteau Hills gives an excellent view of the Whet- stone Valley. Little is leR of the cemetery that once was located directly south of the church. The Sunday services Indian Church Old Indian Church, , about 15 miles south- is the site of Depecial Sunday services Maintained by it is on the Register of Historic first known as the | Earth Church, the log was built in 1877. first served by Rev. Renville, a Pres- minister of French- GRANT COUNTY AG MUSEUM, located in boasts an impressive collection of vintage implements, motor vehicles and other machinery. is an 1878 claim shanty. Also pictured a typical windmill used to pump water.-Review in summer are generally con- ducted by the pastor of the Elim Covenant Church of Stockholm. That community is only a few miles from the church. Troy Stage Station In February, 1880, the homestead of John Potter, in what later became Troy Township, was designated as a U.S. Post Office on the stagecoach route between Big Stone City and Water- town. The station, located 5 and 1/2 miles west of Strand- burg, was in operation for nine years. The Potters provided meals and lodging for travel- ere and ran a livery for the horses. One of the notable regulars at the station was Gov. Mellette, last executive of Dakota Territory and the first governor of South Dakota. The house was restored in 1992. The Historical Society holds a celebration in the summer, opening the stage station up to the public and recreating a Pony Express ride. Recreated on the premises are a depot, farm repair shop and a country kitchen. Also on the grounds is an original claim shanty, built in 1879 by the Anderson family Ag Mmeum An outstanding collection of pioneer machinery, tools and vehicles from Grant County is on display the Ag Museum at Stockholm. ORIGINALLY KNOWN as the Brown Earth Church, the log structure now known as the Indian Church was built in 1877. The cemetery was located adjacent to the church, but only one or two markers are still visible there. 4. $D Valley Care Center Those Who Care" Certified long and thort term care ;killed nursing care 'Therapy Care 'Both inpatient and outpatient Physical therapy Therapy Therapy & Adult Park Place Assisted Living "We will help you take care of yourself" Providing the assistance you need to remain safe and independent • Private suites • 3 meals daily plus snacks • Resident selective menus • Laundry • Housekeeping • Activities Program • Medication Management Healthcare: Committed to serving the of the senior members of our community. 605-432-4556 or 605-432-5695 Welcome Fishermen Lowest Rates In Town! Located on South Highway 15 in Milbank • Continental Breakfast • Free HBO Toll Free Reservations 1-800-627-6075 Next door to the Lan. tern Inn Supper Club Finest Steak and Seafood