Newspaper Archive of
The Ortonville Independent
Ortonville, Minnesota
Lyft
June 30, 2009     The Ortonville Independent
PAGE 8     (8 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 8     (8 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
June 30, 2009
 

Newspaper Archive of The Ortonville Independent produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




Featuring a Complete Line of Hubbard Feeds, Garst and Producers Check with us for spring fertilizer! Phone (320) 325-5203 HWY, 75 CLINTON, MINNESOTA GARY DYBDAHL, OWNER When you fill your rig with Cenexr~ Roadmaster XLTM you're miles ahead of standard diesel fuel. That's because Cenex Roadmaster XL is blended exclusively for hard-working over- the-road diesel engines. Cenex Roadmaster XL is formulated to: - Increase powerfor pulling long hills - Provide quicker starts - Improve fuel efficiency - Protect against wear and corrosion - Reduce maintenance costs Genex Roadmaster XL is a smart, long-term economic fuel choice. Protect your diesel engine investment with Cenex Roadmaster XL. Stop by and fuel up today CO IVE OUR ENERGY COMES TNROUGH~" Cenex~ is a brand of CHS SAFE PERSONAL EMERGENCY RESPONSE SYSTEMS 00 a month (includes tax) ($45.00 program & activation fee) Local support and installation! ~ LOCATED INSIDE O'KAYES HOME CENTER ~ CALL3 TOLL FREE I b18350R 1-2021 Rock Solid Since 1876 Phone 320-839-6131 Ortonville, MN 56278 roudl Salute r ! CENEX LAND O LAKES Box 179 * Nassau, MN 56272 320-668-2323 1-800-842-1391 MARIETTA ODESSA STOCKHOLM 320-668-2321 320-273-2415 605-676-2315 ;TMENT & TER 21 9-3928 or 839-6306 II i I IIIIIIIIIII I IIIIIIIIIIIIill iillllll tim mill Iil I-IIIII IIIII I I fl i i I I I IIIIIIIIIIIIIII l I I I Ill I I I I I II I I i ! ! I III Beardsley, Minnesota 1-888-332-6233 :vator Two 265-6933 265,6181 II lllll IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII I llllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll MINNESOTA'S DAIRY INDUSTRY showed steady growl exporting in the U.S. and the sixth largest dairy state in A new study by the Minnesota Department of Agriculture shows Minnesota's dairy industry achieved steady growth from 2005 to 2008, after years of decline in the early 2000s. The study shows dairy exports also increased. As the fifth largest dairy exporting state in the U.S Minnesota reached a record-high of $113 million in dairy exports in 2007, a 22% increase from the previous year. Since 2000, dairy exports have grown by 61 percent. Dairy is one of the fastest growing export sectors in Minnesota agriculture. Minnesota is the 6th largest dairy state in the U.S. In 2008, Minnesota had 464,000 head of dairy cows, about 5 percent of the U.S. total. Many large dairy states have seen decreases in cow numbers in the past decades; Minnesota, however, has achieved increases in cow numbers from 2005 to 2008, a four-year consecutive growth after long periods of decline. Minnesota produced 8.8 billion pounds of milk in 2008, a slight increase from the previous year. After years of decline, the past four years have seen an annual production growth averaging two percent. From 1990 to 2008, milk production in Minnesota decreased by 12 percent while dairy cow numbers decreased by 35 percent. In Minnesota, milk yield per cow increased by 34 percent from 1990 to 2008, from 14,000: pounds to 19,000 pounds Minnesota ranks No. 22 in milk, yield among U.S. dairy states . Dairy is Minnesota's second largest livestock sector (after, hogs), contributing 24 percent .of the state's total livestock cash, receipts. Dairy's cash receipts. increased 58 percent from 2006 to 2007, from $1.1 billion to $1.7: billion - the biggest annual ' increase in the past three. decades, due to historical high; milk prices in 2007. Farms numbers are~ decreasing in Minnesota, and' livestock and dairy farms are no, exception. Minnesota has fewer- dairy farms today than a decade, ago. Due to industry, consolidation, the average size of. dairy farms also increased, from: less than 50 cows per farm in. 1990 to 90 cows per farm in, 2007. Stearns County is the largest~ dairy county in Minnesota-,: followed by Winona, Morrison, ' Otter Tail, and Goodhue. Among' the top 10 dairy counties~~ Stearns, Morrison, and Stevens are the three counties with. increased production from 2000. to 2007. The others had production declines. Dairy production supports crop farming through feed utilization, a significant market Farmers! 320 East Hwy. 12 Benson, MN 56215 Phone 320-843-4150 Fax 320-843-3731 ~,t;+ A Touchstone Energy+ Partner The power of human connections P.O. Box 6 Ortonville, Minnesota Phone (3201 273-2113 Fax (320) 273-2120 k !